Pin Trading Database

Full Version: Fake pins on newly releases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone know how quickly a fake pin can get into circulation?  It seems that it used to be pretty safe to buy newly released pins on the second market (i.e. ebay) without worrying it is fake.  Is it still an assumption that fakes are more on older pins (at least a year old)?  It's hard to tell as fakes are getting much better at matching real pins.  And many real pins are being produced with poorer quality.  The former criteria for fake pins don't seem to fullproof.
(02-26-2021, 05:05 PM)magical_c Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know how quickly a fake pin can get into circulation?  It seems that it used to be pretty safe to buy newly released pins on the second market (i.e. ebay) without worrying it is fake.  Is it still an assumption that fakes are more on older pins (at least a year old)?  It's hard to tell as fakes are getting much better at matching real pins.  And many real pins are being produced with poorer quality.  The former criteria for fake pins don't seem to fullproof.

It really depends on the pin.  For example, the Haunted Mansion  Holiday Tarot pins from a couple of years ago....that was faked a week after its release... or at least, scrappers were first noticed then.
(02-28-2021, 12:08 PM)starry_solo Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2021, 05:05 PM)magical_c Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know how quickly a fake pin can get into circulation?  It seems that it used to be pretty safe to buy newly released pins on the second market (i.e. ebay) without worrying it is fake.  Is it still an assumption that fakes are more on older pins (at least a year old)?  It's hard to tell as fakes are getting much better at matching real pins.  And many real pins are being produced with poorer quality.  The former criteria for fake pins don't seem to fullproof.

It really depends on the pin.  For example, the Haunted Mansion  Holiday Tarot pins from a couple of years ago....that was faked a week after its release... or at least, scrappers were first noticed then.

That's really interesting (and somewhat discouraging too [Image: sad.gif]).  But good information to know. Thanks!