Pin Trading Database
Does anyone bulk order off eBay? - Printable Version

+- Pin Trading Database (https://www.pintradingdb.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Pins (https://www.pintradingdb.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Watch Out! Scrappers! Counterfeits! (https://www.pintradingdb.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Does anyone bulk order off eBay? (/showthread.php?tid=1588)

Does anyone bulk order off eBay? - pintraderclub - 07-17-2019

I have been bitten before by doing a bulk order and then realising the vast majority of the pins we received were scrappers.

I'm wondering if I was just unlucky or if in general bulk purchases are going to end in pain?

RE: Does anyone bulk order off eBay? - starry_solo - 07-25-2019

(07-17-2019, 07:41 AM)pintraderclub Wrote: I have been bitten before by doing a bulk order and then realising the vast majority of the pins we received were scrappers.

I'm wondering if I was just unlucky or if in general bulk purchases are going to end in pain?

General bulk purchases are going to end in pain.

If the listing has this type of language
- the pins were traded for
- cannot guarantee authenticity
- 100% tradeable
- pins pictured may not be the ones you receive

or something along those lines, then those are not good to purchase.

RE: Does anyone bulk order off eBay? - fudgequeen72 - 09-29-2019

I order 100 on eBay. Only 1 was a scrapper I think, bit it looked fine!

RE: Does anyone bulk order off eBay? - Stewykins43 - 05-04-2021

I have purchased bulk lots in the past before our first planned WDW trip. I wanted something small to point my son (then almost 4) to for souvineers and a calmer activity for the interaction. Since I've learning about scrappers/counterfeit pins, I have only bothered buying non-lot pins, but not Disney brand exclusive. Fantasy pins and other brands (BoxLunch, Artland, etc.)

But if I'm completely honest, we never considered trading some of those scrappers since they were designs we fell in love with. Someone really into the hobby might see our family board and gasp about the "fakes" up there, but most of our family and friends don't know the difference. Still looks impressive to them. (lol) Since you run the risk of falling in love with a fake during trading, I figure no harm, no foul for us. I understand the desire to discourage the booming fake industry, but part of me wishes there were a section for "known scrapper trading," kinda done as-is like store clearance or something.

We don't take fakes with us to trade anymore, but I'm not offended when we end up with one. One us of probably picked it for the design, not the resale value. Smile

RE: Does anyone bulk order off eBay? - astrosaur - 01-01-2022

In total honesty if the pin is a cool enough design and is in great shape I don't mind keeping it on my personal boards. But I wont knowingly put a scrapper in my traders I like to buy a small lot off of ebay if I know I can't get to the parks for a while (live on opposite end of the us from all parks) just to liven up my board a bit.

RE: Does anyone bulk order off eBay? - Dcat - 03-14-2023

I did a couple of bulk orders on ebay and had so-so luck with them. Some were real and some were scrappers. My draw to it was I was just getting started with my pin collection and since I'm VERY specific in what I collect (mainly just Disney cats), I stumbled on entire lots of just Disney cat pins there. I couldn't resist. Scrappers or not, they were my beginner pins. I definitely wouldn't trade them in the Parks or to anyone (unless they were aware and really wanted it). They're just there for my personal collection/viewing until I get the real ones to take their place.