Pin Trading Database
How to: Properly Pack and ship - Printable Version

+- Pin Trading Database (https://www.pintradingdb.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Help Desk (https://www.pintradingdb.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: How-to Guides (https://www.pintradingdb.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: How to: Properly Pack and ship (/showthread.php?tid=19)

How to: Properly Pack and ship - Psycho Pixie - 08-28-2013

Angel I wanted to share some packaging tips with the general populace. Please feel free to add your input as well!

Exclamation Supplies needed:
  1. Bubble wrap.
  2. scissors.
  3. Little bubble mailers (LBE) I like size 0, which is 6x10 and can be cut in half for double use.
  4. packing tape.
  5. Digital Kitchen scale.
  6. useful to have: rubber bands, scrap paper for quick notes, and small Ziploc or jewelry bags.

Idea lets do this in simple focus points:
  1. First, always wrap your pin(s) in a layer or two of unused or un-popped bubble wrap, and be sure the post has a rubber back on it to prevent damage to the post or the mail man. Basically, the more you protect it, the better. I typically do 3 layers.
  2. some people add a cloth wrap, I use Ziploc bags quite often, especially for dangle or spinner pins.
  3. next make sure the bubble wrap cannot slip off in the envelope. I use tape, or a rubber band.
  4. VERY IMPORTANT, that you use a bubble envelope. A regular white letter envelope is NOT a safe way for your pin to travel. The lack of padding allows the posts to catch on postal machinery. Which can damage the pin, OR rip the package and cause the pint o be lost.
  5. Finally, shipping. always always get a DC or tracking number (these are the same thing) the best way to ship is First class 3-5 day delivery.
    A package needs to be at least 3/4 inch thick to "qualify" for DC/tracking. And easy way to ensure that is to add a bit of extra padding to your pin. OR some folks drop 2-3 pieces of packing popcorn in there.

Rolleyes Less discuss price points briefly.... Paypal is the cheapest way to ship your US only packages. Via paypal, you can ship first class with free dc/tracking. **DC= Delivery Confirmation** www.paypal.com/shipnow if you have a paypal account.

Paypal charges for LBE:
$1.69 for up to 3oz
$1.86 for 4oz
$2.04 for 5oz
$2.21 for 6oz
$2.39 for 7oz

For flat rate boxes (recommended for 5+ pins, box sets, or higher value items.) Paypal does offer flat rate pricing, and it is under "Priority 1-3 day" services. You can pick up small flat rate boxes at any post office and it is a good idea to keep a couple handy.

A small flat rate USA: $5.15
A small flat rate International: $19.95-$26.95 depending on destination.

**canada cost me $19.95. And the Postal worker warned me that the price changes across the pond.**

Because flat rate is so pricey internationally, i do NOT recommend it unless you have a FULL box.

You can add things like signature confirmation, and insurance for extra fee's.

Shy Rarely will you have a package weighing over 5 oz. One safely wrapped PODM with a standard small bubble mailer is just under 4 oz, and I always pay the 5oz rate for a PODM to be safe. I have had up to 5 pins in a mailer weigh under 4 oz. so, always weigh it with a digital kitchen scale! You do NOT want to have the pin brought back underpaid.
The thing I love most about paying for my shipping via paypal is that I don't need to go to the post office. I pack, weigh, pay, print and label my pin trade from my desk and my mailman picks it up with outgoing mail.

that's www.paypal.com/shipnow

Some folks wrap their pins more, some less. but my guide above is about average.

RE: How to: Properly Pack and ship - Psycho Pixie - 09-06-2013

updated flat rate prices.